What can you do to minimize the potential for your home to be a target?
- Clean up your yard. Keeping your home safe begins with the outside appearance of your home. Do not leave toys, tools or other items lying around.
- Make sure that there are no dark or concealed areas around your home. Cut your shrubs if they are too big.
- Close all of your windows whenever you leave home. It does not matter how long you’re planning to be gone; all of your doors and windows should be locked whenever you leave home.
- Never leave notes on your door for deliverymen.
- If you need to let someone into your home while you are away,
purchase a lockbox for the key. For the best security, never leave a
key “hidden” near your house as this makes your home an easy target for
burglars. Be sure to replace your locks whenever you lose your keys.
- Unplug your garage door opener if you are going on vacation.
- Stop mail and newspaper delivery. Or have your neighbor pick it up for you while you are gone.
- Automatic lights. It is also a good idea to invest in timers so that your lights will automatically turn on and off while you are gone.
- Play a burglar deterrent CD ( http://www.webensource.com/burglar_deterrent_cd ) . It will make your home appear occupied while you are away.